Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Neverending WIP

Back in 2012, we had a winter of mild weather and almost no snow. In January, my husband and I took a walk on the bike trail of a nearby park and I took some videos. Later I decided to make a quilt to remember the day based on a clip of a picture of this tree. I pieced it by machine using a freezer paper technique and have been hand quilting it ever since, usually when I'm on vacations away from home. It's getting there slowly but hasn't been easy, partly because my threads blend in with the fabric and are hard to see. I've had to pack extension cords and light bulbs so I can sort of see what I'm doing in motels. The best place to work on it is outside. The good news is that it's almost done. I have just the background trees and about 2/3 of the path to go. Maybe it will be ready to hang by winter--and just maybe it will bring back a mild winter unlike what we had last year. I'll post the details of my process when it's done. 
   
And here's my other WIP this week--something a little more modern. 



My granddaughter needs a bedspread for her new big girl bed. I had left over fabrics from her baby quilt, which I think I will cut into charm size and put together with sashing. Yesterday I stopped by one of my favorite quilt shops, just to look at what might work, and THEY WERE HAVING A SIDEWALK SALE that I didn't even know about. I found these yummy gray and white fabrics that will be just right with the gray walls in her bedroom. Time to get the rotary cutter out. (The flyer about the sale was in my mailbox when I got home.)

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced Modern Quilts WIP Wednesday today. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lucky day! :) Those gray and whites are beautiful with the blues, aquas, and oranges--they'll make a lovely, cheerful "big girl quilt."

Renee said...

Love that tree! Great use of fabrics and quilting!

JanineMarie said...

Thanks!

JanineMarie said...

Thank you!

Unknown said...

I adore your art quilt. Birch trees are a favorite of mine. Have fun with the finish!

JanineMarie said...

Thank you. I will.

Sabrina said...

This is amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product! :)