Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Progress on Baby's Row Quilt

I've been sewing like crazy this week on my new row quilt. I forgot how many 8-seam intersections there are when you're working with pinwheels. To keep all the bias edges straight and the intersections clean, I've paper pieced some parts of the blocks. It's a bit fiddly (a British word I've learned from watching too many episodes of Wheeler Dealer--I love it and have adopted it as my own), but is turning out nicely. I'm kind of a stickler for seams meeting and sharp points. Not that I don't like the look of improvised, wonky quilts, but my stand is that if it's not intentionally wonky, it has to be accurate, and if it's wonky, it had better look wonky, not like you tried and missed. Ha! Just my view, so don't yell at me about it. 

Background doesn't photograph well--pale turquoise (sort of minty)


Changing pad cover for the color scheme

Anyway, I have 8 out of 9 rows done! Then I have to add the light sashes between and do the back! I won't get to any more until Sunday. We're expecting guests any minute. It's amazing how anticipating guests gets me to clean up my "studio", aka living room, family room and guest room (I kind of spread my work around--some time I'll do a post to show you what I mean), but everything's ready and I've hidden all signs of the quilt so my daughter doesn't see it. 

If you live in the US, Happy Thanksgiving! And if you live elsewhere, have a fun weekend, too. 

I'm linking up today with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and with Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social. No post tomorrow, but I'll be back next week with more progress--hopefully the back of the row quilt. 

5 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Your progress is looking great, and I totally understand you comment about piecing precision and wonkiness. The changing pad cover material is so cute and the quilt is going to match it perfectly!

the momma said...

I completely agree with your wonky philosophy! The nursery will look sooo cute!
Enjoy your guests :-)
Tracy

Scooquilt said...

These are beautiful, unusual colors. Can't wait to see it finished.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Alas! My sewing room has to go back to being a dining room, too, for tomorrow's big feast. : )

This quilt is looking beautiful. And I'm crazy about the giraffe fabric. Can you give me any details about it?

Kaja said...

You see, that's why I do wonky - my points never matched when I tried! This quilt is working really well. I love how each row of pinwheels is different; it really adds a lot of movement.