Thursday, January 29, 2015

Throwback Thursday Quilt Edition: Baby S's Quilt

I just realized it's Thursday again. The days just fly by. Time to share another quilt I made before I started blogging. Today's is another baby quilt. I made this one in the summer of 2010 for my grandniece, who was born in July that year. I made it to match her nursery colors, which I think were part of a forest theme with a birch tree mural on the wall. 

Love those quilts with legs pictures


The blocks are 7 inches and the sashes are 1 1/4 inch wide, which makes the quilt (before washing) about 42 1/2 by 50 3/4 inches plus a little extra to allow for the binding. Back then I tied baby quilts with perle cotton. On this one I used orange and green. The batting is polyester. 

When S's little sister T was born in 2013, I made S a little doll quilt with the leftovers of her baby quilt. It was one of my practice pieces to learn FMQ.


In other news, here's the fabric I selected with my gift certificate from Fat Quarter Shop that I won in the Blogger's Quilt Festival this past fall. (Thanks to both FQ Shop and Amy from Amy's Creative Side).
I plan to use the last 5 on the right with the fabrics I showed Tuesday to make a fun donation quilt. 

Oh, and one more thing--I was at my local library the other day, and they were having a book sale, 50 cents a book. When I got to the check out table with these two books, the clerk laughed and said, "Oh quilt books--you can have 'em." I wasn't sure whether to be insulted or what, but I got out of there quickly before she changed her mind. They're kind of old books, but have some simple patterns that I think could translate nicely to more contemporary quilts. Lucky me, no matter what that woman meant by her comment. 

Okay, that's it for this week. I'm linking up with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday. Have a good weekend, everybody!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love your fabric haul ... could you possibly share the name of the yellow one fourth from the right?

Quilting Stories said...

Lovely baby quilt and pretty fabrics!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

just love that baby quilt! and then the doll one later...so bright and pretty!

I just picked up an old Thimbleberries book from the 90's at the thrift store the other day...plan to sit down and look through it later on today :)