Thursday, March 12, 2015

Throwback Thursday Quilt Edition--Carolina Lilies

The weather's warming up this week, and I'm in the mood for spring. So for Throwback Thursday (when I share quilts I made in my pre-blogging days), it seems like a good time to show a quilt I finished way back in June 1989. My sister-in-law asked me to make her a spring quilt to match her living room, so I made this Carolina Lilies quilt using a pastel version of her decorating color scheme.



I'm kind of amazed that I chose this pattern because it required applique for the leaves and stems, and that is not my favorite sewing technique, but I love how it turned out. The quilt is cotton, probably bleached muslin with small prints (kind of hard to see here--this is a scan of the only photo I have of the front). The batting is polyester, and the back is muslin. I used cotton hand quilting thread. The quilt is 34 inches square, so I'm guessing the blocks are 12 inches. At the time, I was hand quilting for a living (well, no, not a living, but I did earn enough to pay for piano lessons), and I charged by the yard of thread I used for the quilting, so I kept meticulous records of how much thread I used. This quilt took 118 1/4 yards. I'm glad I don't have to keep track like that anymore!

My sister-in-law still uses this quilt in rotation with two others in the fall and winter. I really need to make her a summer quilt one of these days to fill out the year.

I'm linking up today with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday. Have a good weekend everyone!

3 comments:

lalaluu said...

This is a beautiful quilt with beautiful hand quilting! I can see why your SIL brings it out to display. I can't believe you had to keep track of the thread you used - what a pain it must have been! But maybe worth the piano lessons. :) Thanks for scanning the photo and sharing with us!

dq said...

It is definitely a beautiful quilt. I have much respect and admiration for you on the hand quilting. I have hand quilted some quilts in my day but not usually as close together as this quilt is done.

Kaja said...

Wow, your quilting is beautiful!