Here's my center block:
|Mostly Kona Solids with some Moda Bellas thrown in|
It's 40 inches square and pieced in two halves using freezer paper to stabilize the large pieces. (See my first post about this here.) I'm using a technique that doesn't require sewing through the paper, which will make it much easier to remove the paper when I'm done. I figured out a way to press my seams open while still using the freezer paper, and I'll try to share a picture of that in a later post. I usually press seams to one side, but this big quilt seems to want them open. I'll be working on this project for a while--I have eight more big blocks to make.
I've been using a program I found online (Grid Paint) that has made it very easy for me to color in a pattern for the rest of the quilt. I'm using a grid that has vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines. I think this tool is used by gamers, but it works really well for designing this kind of quilt pattern. I've made a number of versions (way more than you want to know about) and shared them with the quilt recipients, and I think we're close to agreement on a plan. Here's the latest version of my design. If you look closely you can see the above block right in the middle.
I'm going to have a lot going on in the next few weeks--family celebrations (lots of cookie baking right now) and some volunteer work at the school district I used to work in, so both quilting and blogging will probably be spotty for awhile, but I'll post updates when I can.
I'm linking up today with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and with Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social.