Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Trunk Show!

This week, Soma at Whims and Fancies is hosting an online Trunk Show of our favorite quilts. What fun! But wait, pick my favorite quilts? That's like having to pick a favorite child or grandchild (all of them, thank you very much). 

So I've been thinking about my quilts and what might best represent my style. I've been quilting for a long time. My quilts tend to be derivative--based on a well-known block, a picture of a quilt or a design, or on a pattern from someone else. But there are some that are original designs, and even though I haven't made many, I think they are quilts that are uniquely me. Those are pictorial quilts made with either foundation paper or freezer paper piecing techniques, and they are the ones I've chosen to share today. If you want to read more about them, just click on the links in the title of each quilt. I've also included a couple of other quilts that are actually from patterns by others--but are representative of my style of choosing and combining fabrics. 

Reminiscence


I made this quilt during 2012-2014 to remember a walk on a mild day during a winter of almost no snow. It is based on a clip of a video I took and is freezer paper pieced, hand quilted and made entirely from my scrap bins. I entered it in the Blogger's Quilt Festival in November 2014, and it won in the Art Category. It now hangs in my living room--perfect for this time of year.

Columbine



I think this was my first attempt at a paper pieced original design, and oddly, I can't remember the exact technique I used. I made it in 2008 as a wedding present for my nephew and new niece. It was hand quilted.

Lighthouses



  


I made these quilts for my sister-in-law (top quilt) in 2014 and for my brother (bottom) in 2012 for their birthdays. They love sailing and Lake Michigan. Years ago I made tiny versions of quilts using traditional block patterns, and I think these are an extension of that interest in working with small pieces. They are foundation paper pieced. The top quilt also has some layered top-stitch applique (Accidental Landscape technique by Karen Eckmeier). 



This little picture is of the lodge at Hetch Hetchy, the reservoir in Yosemite National Park that provides water to San Francisco. My grandfather built the lodge and it holds special meaning for my dad, so I made the tiny quilt for him for his 90th birthday in December 2013. It is foundation paper pieced with some layered applique and machine quilting. 



I am a long-time admirer of Ruth B. McDowell and her quilts. In fact, she is the quilter that inspired me to try making my own pictorial quilts. This is a pattern from her book Piecing Workshop and is a great way to practice the various techniques in freezer paper piecing. I used only fabric from my stash and hand quilted it. I completed this quilt in February 2013.

And finally, Poinsettia


This is from a pattern by Eileen Bahring Sullivan from 1994. I completed it in January 2015.
It's a foundation paper pieced quilt, and is the first time I did FMQ on a quilt of this type. 

So that's what's in my trunk. I hope you enjoyed my part of this show. I love making all sorts of quilts, but these types are the ones that are probably most "me" of all the quilts I make. 
I hope you head on over the the show and see what everyone else has on display. Please share your quilts, too. Oh, and did I mention there are treats? Check 'em out! The button is to the right. 

29 comments:

Camilla said...

Beautiful to see some more of your work. So clever! I especially like the lighthouses and the leaves; but they are all lovely and what special gifts they make!

Sue said...

These are all lovely. I particularly like the first one. I am always trying to put some landscape I've seen into a quilt form, and not always succeeding. I really like how this representation is accurate without being literal, if you know what I mean. Thanks for sharing all of these little gems.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Very nice show--love the poinsettias!!

Debbie said...

Your work is fabulous! You are a gal after my heart and admire many of the quilters that I do. Although I no long do paper piecing, I love your results. Eileen is from this area and I have taken classes from her. I think it is the fall leaves piece that is so striking.....love your border treatment. Mising a little bit scrappy in always draws me in.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Your trunk show is absolutely inspiring!! All of your pieces are wonderful but Fall On The Wall is absolutely my favorite. I may or may not have just ordered Piecing Workshop ;) One's quilting to do list can never be too long right? :)

Lara B. said...

If I was Ruth McDowell, I would be so proud of being an inspiration for these gorgeous quilts of yours Janine. I'm in awe of your talent! The designs and quilting you've created are superb.

Especially touching is the quilt you made for your Dad. Your family must treasure the knowledge that your grandfather built the lodge at Hetch Hetchy. I hope it was not harmed in any of the Yosemite wildfires. It's a very beautiful building and so "at one with nature".

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Such talent! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work! The poinsettia is my favorite but they are all wonderful!

Sewgirl said...

Just lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

These are incredible pieces of artwork. I am really awestruck! I love paper piecing too and your work inspired me so much. Hetch Hechy!! I love visiting Yosemite and your lodge quilt is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

-Soma

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I am in love!! Small quilts with such detail, love in every stitch - be still my heart.

Sally said...

These are all lovely. I particularly love the first one. thank you so much for sharing these (I'm still drooling!)

Gina said...

Beautiful quilts. I love the Columbine/Grandma's Bonnet one, absolutely stunning

Carol Swift said...

The details in your quilts are amazing and so beautiful! I've never seen such a gorgeous poinsettia piece like that...love it!

krislovesfabric said...

These are amazing, great quilts!!

QuilterinMotion said...

Your detailed quilts are so much fun to look at. That final poinsettia quilt has such depth and it is remarkable.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow, these are all incredibly beautiful. I definitely need to get over my fear of paper piecing!

Kaja said...

This is a really interesting selection of your work and shows what a range of styles you have mastery of. I think I like the lighthouses best (I love the sea) but the best thing is that they have all been gathered together in one place.

LA Paylor said...

I see a style emerging. Clean lines, curves, meaning.
LeeAnna

Needled Mom said...

Your work is absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE that first blue tree and the poinsettia.

Bernie Kringel said...

Janine, you have such wonderful talent. I can't even pick a favorite. The larger lighthouse, Hetch Hetchy, Poitsettia are all wonderful. But really they all are. Thanks for sharing these. I love them.

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing. beautiful quilts. reminisence is particularly stunning.

Quilting Babcia said...

I remember your quilt from the Bloggers Quilt Festival. What an absolutely gorgeous grouping of inspirational quilts. Thank you for sharing them with us!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

OH I love your trunk show. I've seen so many quilts ofyours I haven't seen! LOVE your mild day walk!! Cool idea!! (How's grammyhood going for ya!?)

September Violets said...

Your first quilt here is beautiful ... just like a painting! I love the soft colours and it really does feel like a winter's day. This is a style of quilt that I'm very interested in, but have never tried. You have done some spectacular work. Thanks for sharing these with us!
Wendy

Leanne Parsons said...

Reminiscence is absolutely stunning! I love the Hetch Hetchy quilt too, and the meaning behind it.

Kim said...

Wow....such stunning quilts It isn't any wonder your Reminiscence won the Art Category, it is sublime! Such clever paper piecing!

legato1958 said...

Such beautiful quilts! It was so nice to read the story behind each one. I really like your Poinsettias and the first , red lighthouse quilt!
Susie

Karen H said...

You have a real talent for pictorial quilts. The lighthouses are fabulous and I love the poinsettia quilt (perfect for this time of year). Thanks for the trunk show!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

COngrats on your trunk show win....your work is an inspritation!