Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Hot Weather Equals Quilt Top

Do you know what the best thing is about a week full of hot weather? I got a quilt top finished! There was nothing to do but crank up the air and stay inside, so I settled in with my blocks and sewed and sewed. 

If you read my post from last week, you'll know that I wasn't thrilled with some of my blocks. I set them aside and made the 15 basic blocks for the quilt, and that gave me the renewed energy to tackle the parts I wanted to change. I remade half of one block, fixed parts of two blocks and then redrew lines on my paper foundations to adjust the pattern on the five remaining heart blocks. I had thought of totally changing how I pieced the broken hearts, but after fixing the two blocks I gained the confidence I needed to sew the tricky seam down the middle and sail through those last seams. Then I drafted some letters. After a little experimenting, I decided to go with simple foundation paper pieced block letters. They were the easiest to draft, and I felt they were a good fit for the rest of the quilt. 

So here are some pictures. I'll show the whole quilt after it's quilted. 



I'll share more about this quilt when it's all done. Next step is finding an appropriate backing.

Oh, here's one more little picture. I had a volunteer snapdragon come up in the garden again this year. And in honor of the Kona Color of the Year, it's Highlighter. How cool is that?

I'm linking up this week with Sew Fresh Quilts and My Quilt Infatuation for their linky parties. Buttons for the parties are on the sidebar. 

See you next week. Until then, have fun quilting!

6 comments:

DianeLoves2Quilt said...

I love this broken heart design. I went back and read your previous post and bravo to you for changing it to what you wanted. ( I so would have also) And good luck selecting your backing. That is not a trivial part of the process. My last post discusses how I let a quilt languish for eight months in search of the perfect appropriate backing.

Bernie Kringel said...

This looks intriguing! I'm glad you were able to work through the parts that were so frustrating for you. Cannot wait to see the whole quilt! It is sooo hot here this week so I suspect I will get a fair amount of sewing done too.

KaHolly said...

Your broken hearts quilt design is brilliant! I'm looking forward to seeing it in its entirety! Such pretty little blossoms. The soft yellow reminds me of the blossoms of the Evening Primrose. XO

Sandra Walker said...

How cooperative of your volunteer snapdragon to be the Kona colour of the year! I have a volunteer impatiens but she is hot pink! Colour of July at soscrappy. I'm loving what I've seen of your broken hearts quilt...mine is feeling broken lately with all the sadness and wrongdoings that humans inflict upon each other. If only we all had x-ray eyes and just saw the skeletons, the muscles, the organs like the HEART, that each of us has, no matter what the 'packaging'(skin colour) is, no matter what the 'decorations' (clothing, religion, gender, sexual preference, etc.) we would have a much happier and tolerant world.

Kaja said...

These hearts are looking good - I love the mix of whole,broken and fractured blocks.

Louise said...

Great blocks! I'm hoping that says "Love Wins" on the bottom :)